Best Cheap Mini PC Barebone 2017-2018: Top barebone mini desktops reviews
There are a lot of people that like their mine PC barebone. What is the meaning of a barebone mini PC and why would want to have one? Our computers experts will help you find answers to those two questions and also, give you a list of the top mini PC barebone models out there.
What is a barebone mini PC? It refers to a small computer where you only get the motherboard and power supply. The processor comes soldered to the computer and in some cases, a small storage that acts as cache might be included as well. But in most cases, you will have to add storage and memory yourself.
Why you want to buy a mini PC barebone? There are several advantages that come with one. First reason is flexibility. You can choose whether you want to equip the mini PC with SSD, hard disk or hybrid storage. If you are a going to just use mini PC for home use, web surfing or light office work, you will be better off buying a cheap barebone mini PC and small 256GB SSD. This will give you zippy system. Same goes for memory. If you will be using applications and games that need a lot of memory, you can get a couple of 8GB RAM sticks and enjoy 16GB RAM on your mini PC. You will be saving a lot of money because laptops and ultrabooks with 16GB RAM do not come cheap.
In other words, when you buy a mini PC barebone, you get the flexibility to choose the memory and storage according to your needs – something which you do not when you get a pre-configured mini PC. We are not saying those pre-configured mini PCs are bad. They are excellent for those users who do not have to time and expertise to get barebone mini PC ‘working’. They just want a mini PC that is working out of box.
Second reason is operating system. When you buy a mini PC barebone, you do not get any operating system pre-installed. You can save a lot of money especially if you have a copy of your favourite OS or you want to install an open source operating system like Linux. Many of us have a copy of windows lying around and it makes sense to just use that and save $50 or so.
Generally, a barebone mini PC is ideal for working in places with tight space constraints. For instance, you can mount a mini PC behind the computer display or HDTV using VESA mount. Alternatively, you can simply place it adjacent to monitor as they are really small.
Here are the best cheap mini PC barebone of 2017-2018.
ASUS VivoMini VM65N-G063Z
Asus VivoMini is easily a great mini PC for all purposes. It features the latest 7th generation kabylake i5 processor that is backed by Nvidia 930M discrete graphics for smoother handling of complex photoshop-related tasks (Check: ASUS VivoMini VM65N-G063Z review). There is generous 8GB RAM and 1TB hard disk onboard which lets you work with multiple large layers without any hiccups. Its small form factor allows you to mount it behind the monitor using any VESA mount. Check Price and More.
* VM65N-G063Z VivoMini PC features a 6th-generation Intel Core i5-7200U processor (3.10 GHz, 3M Cache), 8GB DDR4 memory, and 1TB HDD for exceptional performance
* Discrete NVIDIA GeForce GT 930M graphics for smooth 4K UHD visuals and casual gaming
Stream and share content using built-in 802.11ac Wi-Fi and Bluetooth 4.0
* Next-gen connectivity with 2x USB 3.1 Type A, 4x USB 3.0, 4-in-1 card reader, and digital HD audio
* Small form factor (7.5″W x 7.5″L x 2.2″H) with rear mounting VESA support for monitors and HD TVs
Intel NUC Kit NUC6i5SYH
Intel NUC kit comes with powerful i5 processor and Intel Iris 540 Graphics that are capable of driving 4K ultra HD display (Check: Intel NUC Kit NUC6i5SYH review). There is room for a 2.5” drive and additional M.2 SSD slot which can be used for transferring data. You can add up to 32GB of memory as well. This makes it an excellent barebone mini PC so you can add memory, storage of your choice. Check Price and More.
6th generation Intel Core i5-6260U, Intel Iris graphics 540
Up to 7.1 surround audio via HDMI and Mini DisplayPort, Internal support for M.2 SSD card (22×42 or 22×80), Internal SATA3 support for 2.5.HDD/SSD(up to 9.5mm thickness), Intel Wireless-AC 8260 M.2 soldered-down, wireless antennas (IEEE 802.11ac, Bluetooth 4.1, Intel Wireless Display 6.0)
19V, 65W wall-mount AC-DC power adapter
ACEPC AK1 Mini PC
Performance wise, the AK1 is probably best suited for light video watching or day to day web browsing and e-mails. The main purpose of the AK1 isn’t supposed to be a power house gaming machine but more of an almost portable machine capable of normal web browsing and computer usage (check: AK1 vs HP, AK1 speed test). Web browsing is just as quick as using my main Intel i7 desktop, although sites that have a lot of active content like embedded video take slightly longer to fully load. Check Price and More.
ACEPC AK1 may not be a barebone Mini PC, but in most cases, you can remove everything inside (Windows 10 or more) and make it like barebone model. You can add storage and memory yourself.
Type: Mini PC
System: Windows 10
Processor: Intel Celeron J3455
CPU: Intel Celeron J3455
Core: Quad Core
GPU: Intel HD Graphics 500
RAM: 4G RAM
RAM Type: LPDDR3
ROM: 32G ROM
Maximum External Hard Drives Capacity: 2TB
HP Pavilion 510
Behind the modest looks of HP Pavilion 510 (Check: HP Pavilion 510-p030 review) lives a powerhouse packing standard voltage Intel Core i3-6100T Dual Core Processor (3M Cache, 3.2GHz) 35W, featuring 8GB DDR4 2133MHz, 1TB storage and SATA Hard Disk Drive. HP ensures you’re productive right out of box. Check Price and More.
- Processor: Intel Core i3-6100T Dual Core Processor (3M Cache, 3.2GHz) 35W
- RAM: 8GB DDR4 2133MHz | Hard Drive: 1TB 7200 RPM SATA Hard Disk Drive
- Optical Drive: SuperMulti 8X DVD+/-R/RW Dual Layer | Operating System: Windows 10 Home x64
- Graphics Card: Intel HD Graphics 510 | Display: None
- Intel i3-6100T CPU Upgrade | Please Note: This is a Refurbished Product. Unit has been tested to ensure it is in perfect working condition, and inspected to ensure minimal scratches and blemishes. This computer comes with a 1-Year Limited Warranty through CUK only.
ZOTAC ZBOX C Series Passive Cooling Mini PC
Zotac barebone mini PC features the innovative beehive inspired casing which gives you maximum heat dissipation (Check: ZOTAC ZBOX C Series Passive Cooling Mini PC review). It is extremely affordable and capable at same time. In fact, it packs enough power to run multiple display setup. You should get this mini PC if you are looking for a small computer for daily web browsing, e-mail checking, productivity and multimedia tasks.
* Processor: Intel N3150 (Quad-Core 1.6GHz, 2.08GHz with TurboBoost).
* Hard Drive: Support 2.5-inch SATA3 HDD: Dual Gigabit Ethernet; 802.11ac Wireless; Bluetooth 4.0; Barebones System. No Memory, No HDD, No Operating System.
* Ports: 2x USB 3.0 Ports (1 rear, 1 front Type C), 2x USB 2.0 Ports (2 rear).Three display capable: 1x HDMI Port, 1x DisplayPort, 1x VGA Port. 1x Wi-Fi Antenna Connector, 2x RJ45 Ports, 1x 3.5mm Headphone Output, 1x Microphone Jack, Front SD/SDHC/SDXC card reader.
* Package Contents: ZBOX-CI323NANO-U, 1 x AC Adapter. 1 x Power Cord. 1 x Antenna. 1 x Driver DVD. 1 x User Manual & Warranty Card. 1 x Quick Start Guide, 1x VESA Monitor Mount (w/ 4 screws) , Mini-Optical S/PDIF Adapter.
Barebone mini PCs are not for everyone. Not so techie users who are looking for some fun should just buy a mini PC for gaming or the ones that are meant to handle light office duties or web browsing. Barebones are for those who want to run the operating system with their choice and experiment with various types and amount of storage and memories. We hope you found this collection of best mini PC barebone useful.
A mini PC takes up less amount of space compared to a typical desktop and they look much tidier. They are easier to move around too. Let our experts find you the best mini PC or tablet for home use. Check Our Editors' Choices 2018: